Paul Smith's College
Is seeking to fill the following position:
Position: Baking & Pastry Arts Faculty Member
Status: Full Time Faculty
School: Culinary Management Department
Reports to: Culinary Department Chair
Paul Smith's College, a private, teaching-focused, career-oriented undergraduate institution, is committed to experiential learning that blends theory, practice, small classes, and individual attention. Located just minutes from northern New York's world-class resort destination of Lake Placid and the Olympic region, the College has a long and distinguished history of excellence in higher education in hospitality and the culinary arts.
Paul Smith's College seeks candidates for a full-time, academic-year appointment to the faculty in the Culinary Management Department. The successful candidate will be a talented baking and pastry arts professional with a passion for college-level teaching and learning. Strong interpersonal skills are a must, as are the abilities to work well on teams and to communicate effectively with colleagues, students, and external constituencies. Academic rank is open and will be determined by qualifications and experience.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Teaching the full range of baking and pastry arts courses, including labs.
- Assessing and improving student learning.
- Contributing to curriculum planning and development.
- Managing and /or assisting with special projects, recruitment initiatives, and campus events including, but not limited to orientation programs, open houses, and community service activities.
- Active participation with school and college committees
- Preparing and maintaining programs for continuous professional development and enhancement of industry relations.
- An Associates Degree in Baking and Pastry Arts or the completion of an accredited apprenticeship/masters program in the Baking & Pastry Arts field.
- A minimum of three years experience as an Executive Pastry Chef or Assistant Executive Pastry Chef or a combination of eight years as a journeyman level Patissiere and Baker and Executive Pastry Chef.
- A demonstrated ability to develop and teach all Baking & Pastry Arts classes including the Retail Operations aspect.
- A record of success in a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a diverse community of traditional students and adult learners in a hands-on laboratory teaching environment.
- Preference will be given to candidates with:
- An Advanced Degree in a related field.
- Extensive industry experience in a supervisory or managerial position.
- Professional certifications (example: American Culinary Federation Certified Master Baker, FMB).
- Post secondary teaching experience, including the use of computer applications for food service operations and classroom instruction.
Applicants should submit a letter of interest, current resume and contact information for three professional references.
Paul Smith's College values diversity in the College community and seeks to assure equal opportunity through its continued Affirmative Action program. EOE/AA/M/F/D/V
Location/Region: Paul Smiths, NY (US - 12970)